Total Pageviews

17 April, 2015

Taming the Devil -



I have been fighting with Triskaidekaphobia i.e. fear of number 13. I always try not to be superstitious or believe in such nonsense numerical value but I realise that many time superstition takes over reasoning. I do not remember exactly how and when this fear started in my life. As far as my memory goes, almost five years back, in institution, as per the sitting arrangement in examination hall, my serial was thirteen and I became panic. I changed my serial number 13 by 12(A) with pen. I felt my act funny when I reviewed it that night. I asked myself why I did that but I did not get any answer. Fear of thirteen must have been in my unconscious mind but never surfaced earlier. I do not have any bad memories attached with this number or any disadvantage because of it. After that act, I realised I have become concerned with this number. Many times, I have put off the work because it was scheduled on 13th or the addition of date, month & year is coming to 13. I have been observing the fear of 13 gradually increasing in my life. Most funny fear act is even before sending any important mail or liking any link on social networking site, sometimes I count the hour and minute and if it is coming thirteen I wait for few second to pass. If I have to call anyone for any important reason then also I become conscious of this number.

I have seen many superstitious people in my life. I always ridiculed them for their superstitions. In plays, I always consciously mocked people who have unscientific temperament. And here I am irrationally feeling fear of number. How can I fear a number? Number is just a numerical value, 13 is as innocent and harmless as any other number. I must not fear this number – I must nip the bud.

Recently I went through a good number of articles about such fear. All psychologists have almost similar suggestions overcoming such fears. Dr. Amit Abraham (HOD, St. John’s College, Agra ) calls such superstition /phobia a devil and he has very interesting suggestions in his book ‘ Taming – The little devil within’. He has given twelve tips in his book to overcome such fear. These tips are –

Identify your fear

o Make a hierarchy of your fear

o Gain knowledge about your phobia

o Look at each situation and event with a positive outlook

o Be firm

o Plan how you will approach your goal

o Think of all possible extensions

o Take on smaller portions first

o Relaxations Help

o Put in regular efforts

o Reward yourself with each conquest

o You do not loose but gain

This was very helpful article to understand and overcoming such fear. Such kinds of fear/ superstitions are common in the society and people make such superstitions the part of their life. These superstitions have potential to dominate the believers’ life that is very detrimental to their self-confidence. I too feel that such fear should not dominate my life and I must have courage to scare them away.

~~~Ramanuj Dubey

No comments:

Post a Comment